Monday, June 21, 2010

Semester Reflection Part 2

I think that the greatest challenge facing our generation today is our increasing dependence on technology and our laziness and need for instant gratification. This was the topic of my Ampersand article, because working for an environmental organization over the course of internship really opened my eyes to the fact that so little people really care or are willing to make an effort for anything that doesn't benefit them directly. We are constantly designing new technology that lead us closer and closer to getting whatever we want without having to put in any effort. I don't think that this is healthy. I think if we continue creating new gadgets that will allow us to do everything the easy way, we will become so dependent on technology that we won't know how to live without it.

History has never been my strong subject, but I think that over the year my view of events in history and the way that they have shaped the culture of America has changed. After studying the different financial crises in our history, it really brought to my attention the poor economic state that our country is in right now and the way that it is affecting more than just my ability to find a summer job, it is affecting the entire country. I also now have a different view of war after reading the novel Slaughterhouse Five. War is usually depicted as a group of extremely brave young men who have chosen to fight because they are passionate about their country, but in Slaughterhouse Five the author Kurt Vonnegut points out that most of the men who join the war aren't particularly brave, or passionate about their country, or even ready to be in a war at all.

At this point in my life, there are so many carrer fields that I could see myself enjoying or prospering in, but I still have not decided which field I really want to pursue a career in. It is certainly possible that by Senior year I will be more sure of what path I want to take in life, but if that's not the case, I have decided that I am going to take at least two semesters off to travel after I have completed High School. By doing this I will experience new things, reflect on the what I really want in life and decide what I really want to pursue as a career. After I take a short time off to travel, I want to go to UCLA, Soka University in Orange County, or San Francisco State.

There are several things beyond grades that motivate me to do well in school. First,the freedom for personal expression that is given to us at this school helps motivate you to do well because you begin to use projects as an opportunity to present ideas that you have and get them accross to others, or to express your talents. For example, if you are a talented artist, you will be motivated to create a professional and well done art piece, so that you can show your talent. Another thing that motivates me to do well are my parents, and my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment