Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing Reflection

I would like to say that I have always put 100% into my writing, but as I look over pieces of my writing over the course of this year, it is apparent that over the course of my junior year I have learned a great deal about writing techniques and how to apply them. I have always taken my writing seriously, but looking over my pieces of writing that I have done over the course of this year, I noticed a darastic change in the quality and thought put into my writing. I chose my two favorite writing assingments to compare. The first piece is entitled "My Hero" and was the first writing assignment for our Junior year. I had an excellent topic and many good ideas, but I did not communicate them as well as I could. I used simple sentence structure and almost no writing techniques to get my point accross.

I compared this with my Ampersand article, one of our most important and most recent writing assignment. When writing my article, I paid very close attention to detail and revised it many times, looking for specific writing techniques, such as "concerts, not pancakes" and "make meaning early". I used more complex sentences that got my point accross without just bluntly saying it. To achive this higher quality writing, I used my knowledge of writing techniques that we had learned over the year and went through many drafts and revising processes, and had it by critiqued by many people, which made a huge difference.

For the future, I want to ensure that I get a rough draft of my writing as soon as possible, rather than procrastinating and trying to make a perfect final draft at the last minute, because over the course of this year I have learned the importance of the rough draft revision process. I will also ensure to go over the drafts as carefully as possible and have my writing by as many people as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment